Importing Software Licenses Into Asset Intelligence System Center Configuration Manager 2007
The following sections describe the procedures necessary to import both Microsoft (and non-Microsoft software) licensing information into Config Manager 2007 using the Asset Intelligence License Import Wizard
Importing Microsoft Volume Licensing (MVLS) Software License Information
Microsoft software license information can be imported into the Asset Intelligence catalogue directly from a Microsoft licensing spreadsheet (Excel). Before importing software license information, the MVLS spreadsheet must be converted to an .xml file. The following procedure describes how to convert an MVLS licensing spreadsheet file to .xml format using Microsoft Office Excel.
HINT Either Microsoft Office Excel 2003 or Microsoft Office Excel 2007 can be used to complete this procedure. However, if you attempt to convert an MVLS spreadsheet created in Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (.xls) with Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (.xlsx), this procedure will fail. Before beginning this procedure, ensure that the MVLS statement file type is the same as the version of Microsoft Office Excel that will be used.
HINT Make sure the import file is comprehensive as existing license data will be wiped and overwritten.
HINT If you wish to software licenses from license information files into the site database, please be aware that you will need the full NTFS Permisions to the file share that will be used to import software license information.
Step by Step guide
To Convert a Microsoft Volume Licensing Statement to .xml Format
- Open the spreadsheet and ensure that the License Summary tab is selected.
- From the Microsoft Office Excel file menu, save the file in .xml format. When using Microsoft Office Excel 2003, the file created should be saved as an XML Spreadsheet formatted file. When using Microsoft Excel 2007, the file created should be saved as an XML Spreadsheet 2003 formatted file.
- Copy the .xml file to the file share that will be used to import software license information into the Asset Intelligence catalogue using the “Asset Intelligence License Import Wizard”.
- From within the Configuration Manager console, use the Asset Intelligence License Import Wizard to import the newly created .xml license information file.
- Run the Asset Intelligence License 14A – Microsoft Volume Licensing Reconciliation Report to verify that the licensing information has been successfully imported into the Asset Intelligence catalogue.
Importing non-Microsoft Volume Licensing (MVLS) Software License Information
Non-Microsoft software license information can also be imported into the Asset Intelligence catalogue using a manually created license import file in .csv file format. When creating a non-Microsoft license import file, you will need to include descriptive information including the usual information Product Name, Publisher, Version, Language, Support Purchased, Support Expiration, PO Number, Effective Quantity, Date of Purchase and Reseller.
Step by Step guide
The following procedure describes the process that can be used to create a non-Microsoft software license import file using Microsoft Office Excel.
To Create a non-Microsoft License Import File Using Microsoft Office Excel
- Open Microsoft Office Excel
- On the first row of the new spreadsheet, enter all software license data field names.
- On the second and subsequent rows of the new spreadsheet, enter software license information as required. Ensure that at least all of the required software license data fields are entered on subsequent rows for each software license to be imported. The software title name entered in the spreadsheet must be the same as the software title that is displayed in Resource Explorer for a client computer after hardware inventory has run.
- From the Microsoft Office Excel file menu, save the file in .csv format.
- Copy the .csv file to the file share that will be used to import software license information into the Asset Intelligence catalogue using the Asset Intelligence License Import Wizard.
- From within the Configuration Manager console, use the Asset Intelligence License Import Wizard to import the newly created .csv license information file.
- Run the Asset Intelligence License 15A – Third Party Software Reconciliation Report to verify that the licensing information has been successfully imported into the Asset Intelligence catalogue.
In the SSCM Console > Site Database > Computer Management > Asset Intelligence.
HINT If you have the action pane up, Click “License Import Wizard” .
Then run the Import and browse to the location of your XML Formatted licensing information file on the standard network share folder.