With OCS 14, Microsoft will be investing significant R&D to create Enterprise Ready Voice. To appropriately value the Enterprise Voice capability Microsoft had the choice to:
• Raise prices on all existing OCS Enterprise CAL customers if Voice was still included in the OCS 14 Enterprise CAL or
• License the Enterprise Voice functionality separately and lower the OCS ECAL price.
Research indicated that adding enterprise telephony features to the OCS Enterprise CAL and raising its price (and the ECAL Suite price) was not desirable since customers considered their enterprise telephony purchase decisions separate from their collaboration/IM/conferencing decisions. We are giving customer the flexibility to chose which UC workloads are most appropriate.
The grandfathering plan for existing customers is very favorable, providing several years for existing customers to budget for the change. The OCS 14 ECAL is being reduced to account for the reduction of functionality.
With the launch of OCS 14 (Lync)
• Customers who have purchased an OCS Enterprise CAL or the Enterprise CAL Suite (ECAL Suite) prior to July 2009 and have maintained and continue to maintain their Software Assurance (SA) on the OCS Enterprise CAL (or ECAL Suite) will be granted the license for the OCS Voice CAL for two releases, OCS 14 (Lync) and OCS 15.
•Customers will need to renew the OCS Voice CAL SA at their first renewal period post OCS 15 launch if they choose to keep the OCS 15 Voice CAL SA benefits.
• Customers who will purchase OCS Enterprise CAL or ECAL Suite after July 2009 but before the launch of the Lync and have maintained their SA on the OCS Enterprise CAL (or ECAL Suite) will be granted the license to the OCS 14 Voice CAL. Customers will need to renew the OCS Voice CAL SA at their first renewal period post OCS 14 launch if they choose to keep the OCS 14 Voice CAL SA benefits.
• Post OCS 14 launch, customers receive a 20% discount on the OCS Voice CAL if they also purchase the ECAL Suite.
The expected release date is December for Lync – please engage with your Large Account Reseller to lock in your grandfathering rights.
Disclaimer – The content of this article and blog is for general information purposes only and the content shall not be considered to supplement or amend the terms of any existing agreement with Microsoft UK or any Microsoft Group affiliate.